The artillery fortress is part of the border fortification line of 1936 till 1938. While visiting the fort you can see the underground space. There is an instructive trail around the fortress with information boards, explaining the fortification themes of the late thirties of the past century. In the entrance centre there is a permanent display of Czechoslovak pre-World War II army in miniatures from Lubor Šušlík collection. Fort „Jeřáb“ is open for public on bank holidays only.
|Air-raid shelter||Infantry air-raid||Artillery air-raid shelter||Revolving push-out gun tower||Air-raid shelter with double rocket-launcher||Crew|
The fortress of Dobrošov is one of those which were not fully completed and which was opened to the public because of its accessibility in 1968. The complex consists of seven concrete fortresses of the highest class of resistance, situated on the hill above the district town of Náchod near the village of Dobrošov. There are almost 2 km of passageways hidden inside the rock hill. The passageways connect particular fortresses. On the surface only three objects can be seen: the artillery blockhouse of Zelený, the command infantry blockhouse of Můstek and the infantry blockhouse of Jeřáb. During the mobilization of troops in September 1938, Jeřáb was the only blockhouse with a crew of 25 men. The entrance, situated on the contour not far from the car park has never been completed. By means of this entrance, the whole stronghold should have been supplied from the mainland. The artillery blockhouse called America, the slewing cannon and trench mortar towers were also not completed. There are only embankments covered with self-sowing trees in their places.
The Fortress History
The military survey of the terrain at Dobrošov was carried out in August 1936, taking a week. The project was transferred to field in April 1937. In May 1937 an invitation to tender the building oof the stronghold was issued. Eight building companies submitted tenders for the contract. The order was given to the company Kapsa and Müller from Prague and the construction was financed by the army. The work commenced on September 13th, 1937 under the supervision of military experts. Construction progressed quickly. At first there were 490 builders working on the construction site in three shifts. The work was interrupted in September 1938. The interruption was based on the Munich Agreement. This Region was not part of the so-called Sudeten area (German speaking area of former Czechoslovakia) and for that reason after the Sudeten area had been occupied, Dobrošov did not fall under the German administration until the whole republic was occupied on March 15th, 1939. During World War II, the Fortress was closed and after 1945 it was abandoned until the sixties when it was released by the army to become a museum.
There are 171 steps leading underground. We can see the lift shaft from below and on the right hand side of the shaft there is the elevator engine room. Through the ammunition supply passageway we can reach some small halls which were designed as arsenals. Today there are some parts of the Czechoslovak fortifications on display here. You can also see a projectile in display case which was used by German artillerist for test shooting against the blockhouse of Můstek. In the second hall, there are photographs of the weapons which were intended for the defense of the republic before the 2nd World War. Another small hall was designed as offices of the artillery commander. The way leads us to a grating behind which the passageways are incomplete. Through these passageways the fortress was intended to be connected with the outside world. There was a narrow-guage track along the passageways for the material distribution. We are going back to the passageway with the steel framing. The ground caved in there in 1969 and this part of the passageway was reinforced with modern framing in order to be open to the public. A left turn leads us to large halls designed for the accommodation of the crew. There are passageways leading from here to the blockhouse of Jeřáb and to the other incomplete blockhouses. On our way back from the halls we turn left to the staircase under the blockhouse of Můstek. Here we have to climb 226 steps to get to the infantry blockhouse. The whole underground rooms and passageways were designed to be heated and air conditioned by a sophisticated system and lit by electric light.